Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Ruiz Zafón took me by surprise. I was hesitant at first to read this book because it was originally written in Spanish, and I was afraid the some of the meaning would be lost in the translation. Fortunately I was proven wrong. It is a beautifully written story filled with love, tragedy, mystery, obsession and literature. Zafón's writing style is both descriptive and passionate. He has the ability to describe the physical and emotional scene and tone in just a few simple sentences, without bogging the down the flow with too many superfluous words.

This novel focuses on a young man living in post-civil war Barcelona, Daniel. One day, Daniel's father takes him to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. Daniel is allowed to pick one book, out of thousands, that he will cherish and keep safe for as long as he lives. Little does he know that by choosing his book, Daniel becomes wrapped up in a tragic and long forgotten story that consumes Daniel and sets the course for his life.
 
The Shadow of the Wind constantly kept me guessing. Once you think you've figured out the plot, Zafón throws an intense twist into the mix, throwing you off the trail. Unfortunately, I accidentally ruined the main mystery for myself by reading a review that gave it away.  Despite reading a spoiler the book was still enjoyable and kept me guessing until the end. My only major qualm is with the epilogue. The tone throughout  is distinctly dark, Gothic and at times frightening, which in my opinion sets it apart. Meanwhile, the epilogue digressed from the Gothic theme entirely, giving an almost annoyingly cheerful close to the book. The cliche happy ending does not balance with the rest of the novel at all, which makes me question whether Zafón was perhaps pressured into it by his publisher so as to appeal to the masses. 
Apparently Zafón has written a sequel of sorts to The Shadow of the Wind called The Angel's Game, which I will definitely be reading in the future. Hopefully it is as intriguing as it's predecessor, but better balanced in tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment