Tuesday, May 10, 2011

After the Falls

Wow, it's been a while since my last post.  I can't use the lame excuse that I didn't have time to post. I read 3 books, so obviously I had time for something. After spending the past month or so staring at a computer screen for my various classes, I had to give my eyes a much needed rest. But now I am done with school (horray!) and it's the summer which means I have extra time to spend reading! But first I need to catch up on my blogging. So here it goes...

After the Falls by Catherine Gildiner is the second installment of her childhood and young adult memoirs. The book begins in the early 60's, Cathy has turned 13 and her family has moved to Buffalo. Cathy's family has decided that she needs to go to a school with more opportunities.  In reality, Cathy's father's pharmacy is going out of business and the house that they lived in doesn't really belong to them. The book follows her experiences over a 10 year strectch. She reveals stories about her family life, which was slowly deteriorating due to her father's brain tumor. Her first years in college, where she realizes that she doesn't fit it with the traditional co-ed stereotype. She becomes wrapped up in the hippie and equality movements. Finally she meets who she thinks is the man of her dreams. Until the day she realizes it is all a lie. Although her experiences jade her, she's tries and sometimes fails, to never give up hope.


Her previous book, Too Close to the Falls, begins with Cathy believing the world is a perfect place. Towards the end she rudely comes to the realization that the world is not what it appears to be, and that society attempts to hide the ugly truth. After the Falls picks up on the disenchanted theme and carries it throughout. As we follow her teenage years, Cathy peels back the various masks that have been placed in her way and she is faced with the truth. Often times the truth seems too much for her to bear and it threatens to break her apart. At the same time she is often surprised by the few people who really are good, and that aren't hiding something dark within themselves.

Honestly, a brief review cannot do this book justice. It evoked so many emotions in me; laughter, happiness, hope, revulsion, sadness and grief.  Cathy's stories and experiences growing up resonate within me, and I find myself comparing her revelations with my own. Even though this book was written about a era which is over 30 years past, her story can still be applied and compared to what many young woman experience now.

Looking back at this post I realize that I made this book sound really depressing. Although there are some very depressing situations, there are happy and encouraging stories sprinkled in as well. If you want a story that is funny, surprising, thought provoking and relate-able I recommend  After the Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment